The has been much debate over “What the ideal hedgehog house really is…”
And whilst many have their opinions,
The facts speak for themselves…enter, The Hedgehog Housing Census.
- 1 What is the Hedgehog Housing Census?
- 2 Now, over to you?
What is the Hedgehog Housing Census?
The University of Reading analysed over 5,000 surveys, submitted by Hedgehog Champions over at Hedgehog Street…
To let the hedgehogs speak on what they think the best hedgehog house really is.
Here are the results:
- 81% of survey respondents* found that hedgehogs used the house for resting, 59% for hibernation and 28% for breeding
- Hedgehogs actually prefer homemade houses, but artificial houses are still a good alternative
- Hedgehogs need time to get used to a new house before they use it
- Feeding hedgehogs in your garden & providing bedding increases the chances of a resident hedgehog moving in
- Hedgehogs prefer houses found in back gardens, in sheltered spots
- Pets or badgers don’t appear to put off a ‘hog from moving in
*The survey respondents were those that responded to questions about usage for resting, breeding or hibernation only. Some participants skipped this question in the survey.
(Source: Hedgehog Street)
So, if you were thinking about putting a hedgehog house in your garden,
6 Things You Didn’t Know Hedgehogs Wanted From A Hedgehog House…
According to 5,000 hedgehogs who voted with their feet, they will mostly:
- …use it for resting
- …quite like you to make a house
- …will take their time to get used to the house (so, be patient)
- …like you to leave them some food and make it comfortable with soft bedding
- …want their privacy (so, have the house tucked away in the back garden and a secluded spot)
- …not mind if you have pets or other wild animals around
Now, over to you?
What do you think about the census results?
Do you have experience to share?
We’d be interested to hear from you.
Leave a comment below.